Friday, June 3, 2011

Sensory Overload: Part One

In my next few posts, I am going to talk about a large issue that affects nearly all the members of the autistic spectrum called sensory overload.

To anyone not familiar with the term, I am going to define it using a description I found online: "Sensory overload (sometimes abbreviated to SO) is a condition where one or more of the senses are strained and it becomes difficult to focus on the task at hand. The term is commonly (but not exclusively) used in the context of autism/autism spectrum disorders."

As a member of the spectrum, this is something that I have dealt with my entire life.  There are many instances when a person has noticed that something is bothering me, and asks me what is wrong.  I normally have to come up with some sort of feeble excuse because: not only am I unable to articulate my intentions very well when my senses are overloaded; but it is way too much to explain, especially if the person has no idea that I have autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment