Saturday, November 12, 2011

On the Subject of Diversity

In this post, I want to share a recent achievement of my friend, Dani Bowman.  Dani has autism like me, and is very successful with what she loves most.  Dani founded Powerlight Studios at age eleven and now at age sixteen she has accomplished great things as an animator and an autism advocate.

Dani recently made a video about diversity where she talked about the emergence of a new type of diversity concerning those with disabilities.  She suggests that autism should be treated as a form of diversity, much like differences between cultures, nationalities, and races.  Autistic people are diversified from those who are not on the spectrum.  As Dani most rightfully says, "diversity is something to be celebrated."  She also believes that the world would be boring if everyone was the same.  I could not agree more.

When I was struggling with my self esteem in middle school, I used to imagine what my band class would've been like if everyone in the class was like me.  My imagination did not present me with very promising images at that time.  I was not comfortable with who I was as a person.  I knew I was different, and I wanted to be accepted and liked.  I thought that since I was different, I was somehow preventing myself from receiving the acceptance I desired.  I was wrong.  This is why I am so passionate about raising autism awareness.  I don't want any autistic child to feel alone like I did.  I am sure that Dani believes the same thing.

Check out Dani's video about diversity by clicking the following link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUInV7VFqfI&feature=share

No comments:

Post a Comment