Saturday, December 24, 2011

Sensory Overload at Holiday Parties

I have never been a very social person.  Instead of loud parties, or family gatherings, I would prefer to spend holidays quietly with just a small gathering of people.  This could be attributed to my mild autism, my nature as an introvert, or some combination of the two.  In any case, I would rather sit on the sidelines of a party and watch rather than be the center of attention.

With the abundance of holiday parties this time of year, many families have little choice but to take their autistic children to the parties with them.  Loud party activity can cause painful sensory overload.  While not taking an autistic child to a party is not always an option, perhaps parents can find a quiet room where they can take the autistic child so that they can wind down away from the painful sensations.

No comments:

Post a Comment