Saturday, January 7, 2012

Follow up Interview Post


I wanted to take a moment in this blog post to follow up on a matter I mentioned during my previous blog post.  This is the post where I discussed whether having high functioning autism can be advantageous during a job interview.  I received a moderate response on Facebook.  One reader commented saying that she had heard that without individuals with Aspergers Syndrome, NASA would not exist.  This is understandable, given the high intelligence and intense focus that are characteristics to those who have Aspergers Syndrome.

In my last blog post, I mentioned that I had an upcoming interview for a marketing internship.  Those readers I have connected to through Facebook will already know this, but I was selected as Assistant Director of Social Media Marketing for a small restaurant chain.  This is due, indirectly, to having high functioning autism.  I feel that I was selected more for the strong creativity I can contribute to the department than for my social media marketing skills.  It is my autism which grants me strong creativity in exchange for the social difficulty I have experienced in the past. 


I encourage those that might be struggling with the negative aspects of the autism spectrum to nourish their creativity.  If nothing else, I am confident that a creative outlet will lead to peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment