Saturday, February 25, 2012

"I know more than I think you know..."

This is quote listed in the title came to me while looking into a news story about an severely autistic girl, Carly, who reveals her inner world through typing.  This quote is the silent cry that everyone on the autism spectrum is trying to reach out to those who are not on the spectrum, who run the world, and in some cases, claim to know us better than we know ourselves.  I'm sorry if this offends anyone but it is true.  This is the silent cry of many on the spectrum, as spoken by Carly, and as spoken by many others as well, I'm sure.  For a long time, I have considered myself to have a foot in both worlds.  While I am on the spectrum and experience autism characteristics, I am also capable of looking at autism as an "outsider" or someone who is not on the spectrum.  In the work place and at school, I can function without anyone being aware that I am on the spectrum.  It is my hope that this blog becomes as the title states, one of the many Voices from the Spectrum who are striving to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment