Saturday, May 26, 2012

Play the Flying Colors


When I was in high school, I played the clarinet in the school marching band.  Every year, we donned our uniforms, memorized a patriotic song, and then marched down the main street in my town. We recognized the freedom we celebrate today is the result of the sacrifices made by so many.  On alternating years, the two high schools in my town swapped cemetery duty, where we played the Star Spangled Banner in the grave yard and one of our trumpet players played taps.  My autism made it easier for me to memorize music than it was for my NT classmates.  All I had to do was to hear the music played about a dozen times, and then it was memorized in my head.  Of course, I tended to play first part rather than second part, even when I was an underclassman, as first part stands out more.  Music is one of my creative ventures that allow me to fully explore my abilities.  That same ability was used to watch memorized movies in my head when I was younger.  Just remember, among all the difficulties that are associated with autism, that autism has pros and cons...Just like everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment