Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Year of Reflection

It has been nearly a year since I first started writing The Voice from the Spectrum.  In this blog post, I wanted to take a little bit of time to reflect on what has been an amazing journey that has lead to so many different opportunities for me.  Also, I think it's safe to say that I learned a thing or two about myself writing to raise autism awareness.

Beginning to write about autism awareness through this blog was a big step for me.  It was not without hesitation that I begun to write about my autism to an audience that was undefined.  At that time, I didn't know who would want to read what I had to say.  The nervousness that accompanies anticipation was present: what if no one found what I had to say interesting or helpful?  Such is the nature of new experiences.  I'm glad to say that I could not have been more wrong.

My writing about autism has made a difference.  Regular readers of this blog will surely agree.  I try to make it as personal as possible because that is what I have to share: a first person account of what it is like to live on the autism spectrum.  Sharing my words have lead to an additional blog, OUCARES-Did you Know..., two weekly blog talk radio shows which air online; and a recent speaking engagement at a symposium about autism and employment.

Looking ahead to the future, I know that I would like to write a book about autism; I just don't know what direction I would like to take yet.  In the meantime, I am concentrating my effort on my fantasy series, about a young heroine who has to come to terms with a whole new world and face far greater challenges than she had ever imagined.  I don't want to give away too much here.  All I can really say is progress has been steady.  I will continue to write to raise autism awareness as a blogger and continue with my online radio programs.

In my life, I would like to accomplish two things: first of all, I would like to leave behind a world that is does not necessarily understand autism better but is more accepting of autism.  I would also like to create a truly great piece of fiction that will become my legacy and live on far longer than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment