Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Sandy Side of Things


A popular pastime during the summer is to go to the beach, to lie out in the sun, maybe splash around in the water.  That is something that is viewed as enjoyable and relaxing by so many, but what do people on the spectrum think about going to the beach?  In my case, I don't find going to the beach very enjoyable, not the way I viewed it as a kid.  Growing up, I liked to play in the surf and pretend that the soft sand right on the waterline was quicksand, and that my toys were in peril.  I also liked to throw piles of mud at toy boats to try to get them to sink.  

Now that I'm twenty four, going to the beach is not as enjoyable.  The sand is always to hot, the sun is too bright, and I'm not the kind of person who enjoys horsing around in the water.  I might play Frisbee-catch with my younger brother or sit on the beach with a book, but nothing more than that.  It has probably been a year and a half since I last went to the beach, when I was camping August 2010 with my family.  

Of course, others on the spectrum might view the beach experience differently than me.  This account is just one of the many accounts made by individuals on the spectrum.  What are your thoughts about the beach experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment