Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dennis Leary Autistic Statement Response

I have never been particularly fond of practical jokes.  I personally prefer slapstick comedy like "The Three Stooges," or "America's Funniest Home Videos," or even "World's Dumbest Drivers."  However, in my experience, practical jokes are normally someone laughing at my expense.  I just never know how to react.

Recently, actor Dennis Leary made comments in his book about autism that has greatly offended many parents of autistic children as a joke.  Now, Leary is a good actor.  I particularly like the character "Diego" from the "Ice Age" franchise.  It won't stop me from seeing the new "Ice Age" movie. However, I can honestly say that I was offended by his statements that blamed parents for the behavior of their autistic children and stating that autistic kids are just "lazy" or "stupid."

That really irks me to no end.  I may have had difficulties in my own past where even I considered myself stupid, but in five months I will graduate from college with a Bachelor of Science and a 3.3 GPA.  If that is considered "stupid" then we really need to rethink our priorities as a society.  Jokes are supposed to be funny. Comparing stupid or lazy people to those many people on the spectrum is a very poor excuse for a joke, in my opinion.

To read the article about Leary's comments made in his book, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment