Saturday, August 4, 2012

Cat's Make Things More Real to Me...


Some recent studies have indicated that the presence of a pet in a household with autistic children can have very beneficial results.  This is something that I could have claimed a long time ago.  There hasn't been a point in my life when there has not been a least one pet in the house.  At present, we have four cats at home.  The oldest cat, Tippy, has kind of claimed me as his human.  The feeling is mutual.

Right now as I am writing this, Tippy is laying behind me on the couch, snoozing.  He always greets me when I come home, and will meow at me in an indignant way if I'd been gone for too long.  The only negative thing I can say about him is that instead of laying on my chest sometimes, he crouches and that hurts.

Animals, particularly cats, make things more real for me. Recently, I read a book with a sad ending but I did not feel a strong emotional response until a cat that had been present in the story showed remorse for the events that transpired in that story.  Then, I was overwhelmed with sadness and had to hide in my room because I didn't want my family to see me crying.  Cats make things real for me.  They bring a level of understanding to situations that I just don't get any other way.  So, I can validate this study firsthand.

To read more about this topic, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment