Saturday, November 3, 2012

Things to Keep in Mind for this Election

There has been a lot of media hype preceding this election next week.  There has also been a fair amount of mudslinging between both sides.  I'm not going to get into the details concerning individual issues.  This is not a blog about politics, this is a blog about autism awareness.  I invite comments and feedback about autism awareness, not political agendas.  I don't want to see that on this blog.

My point in all of this is to allow those high functioning individuals on the spectrum who are over eighteen the opportunity to vote based on how they believe.  Instead of trying to influence an individual on the spectrum to vote a certain way, try to use this as an opportunity to educate those on the spectrum about making choices and the effect those choices may have.  Maybe the best thing to do is to simplify things as much as possible.  There is a lot of grey area painting the issues in this election.  People on the spectrum think in black and white terms.  Many of the issues in this election may only confuse ASD adults or even agitate them.  It is confusing because there is no clear-cut right or wrong answer to the issues at stake.

If an adult on the spectrum has no interest in politics just let it go.  Voting is a fundamental right in the United States but it is only a right.  Not a requirement.  I plan on voting but personally I will be glad when it is all over. I get agitated when exposed to all the negativity in political ads and otherwise.  I know of people on the spectrum who feel otherwise.  There is just too much noise. Too many people who want to influence the thinking/voting of others and this means sensory overload for those on the spectrum.  Sensory overload means meltdowns and shutdowns due to excess stress that cannot be processed properly in the minds of ASD individuals.  We may choose to block it all out because it's just too overwhelming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am an NT and I agree with you!! I too will be glad when it is all over. I too get agitated when exposed to all the negativity in political ads and otherwise. I know lots of people who are NT who feel as we do. There is just too much noise. Until then, my TV and radio are off. I feel so much better. Kathy

Post a Comment