Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Whole New Level

As some of my readers might be aware, I have been working on a three part fantasy series for the past seven years.  Progress has not always been consistent, but this past April, I started writing at least one page every day.  One thing that every writer/artist knows is that creativity cannot be rushed.

However, I recently made a breakthrough in my story that I think takes the story to a whole new level.  I'm going to make two of the main characters autistic.  One character has high functioning autism, another character has lower functioning autism (which I am going to portray to the best of my ability).

By adding autism, something that I can relate to on a very personal level and know quite a bit about, keeps that story from becoming another fantasy series containing basically the same elements.  It makes the book series truly my own.  I'm not going to give too much away for obvious reasons but the main point in the story is not using magic to cure autism in some way; instead, one of my main points will be how to learn how to live with the differences.  This will help children and parents affected by the spectrum more than a portrayed magical cure.

My goal is to raise autism awareness while providing a great story.  I hope that future readers might gain more awareness through my fantasy series (once it is finally completed).  I believe that in today's media age, the best way to educate people about autism is through entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment