Saturday, December 29, 2012

Not Emotionless

I have heard people say before that those on the autism spectrum cannot understand the feelings of others.  Six years ago, when trying to explain autism to a friend, I mistakenly said that people on the spectrum do not have emotions.  That cannot be further from the truth!

I'm not going to name any names, but a few weeks ago, I had a guest on one of my online radio programs read a poem he wrote about the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.  He was so overwhelmed with remorse for the victims that he was clearly in tears by the time he reached the end of his poem.  I could not help but be touched by his pained emotion that he exhibited.  Even as an individual on the spectrum, I am still very different than others who are also on the spectrum.  Even as a writer, I could not have come up with what he had written.  

No comments:

Post a Comment