Friday, February 22, 2013

My First News Appearance on Autism Awareness


Yesterday, I participated in the 1st annual Autism Summit at Oakland University.  As I often say, under the right conditions, someone on the autism spectrum can literally change the world.  The purpose of this Summit was to try to create those conditions by gathering decision makers from all over Michigan. Throughout the day, they discussed the legislation passed last year that mandated insurance coverage for services needed by those on the autism spectrum.  Also discussed were what the next steps should be in order to provide the highest quality of life for those on the spectrum.  Many different motions were discussed during this Summit, which I will write on further in OUCARES-Did you know...

It was also a personal milestone for me as an autism advocate.  I was interviewed by two local news stations about autism awareness, which I was not expecting at all.  As a result, I was featured on Channel 4 WDIV news.  The coordinator of the Summit listened in to both interviews and told me that I was a "natural."  The way I see it, everyone on the autism spectrum has a special gift and I happen to have a gift with words.  As a result, I feel it is my responsibility to speak on behalf of those on the spectrum and continue to serve as a Voice for the Spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment