Friday, December 27, 2013

My Autistic Journey: Part II

Here is some info about me:

  • I was born April 28th 1988.
  • When I was two years old, my language skills degraded.
  • When I was three, I regained my ability to speak.
  • When I was nine, I was highly impulsive and destroyed another student's textbooks in Catechism class. Earlier that same day I was disciplined at school for throwing snow at another student.
  • When I was eleven, I received detention for not keeping up and had a teacher tell me "see, you know what you need to do, why don't you just do it?" I didn't have an answer I could give.
  • When I was twelve, I was taken out of school and hospitalized for four weeks while I was diagnosed with atypical autism and treated for depression.  During the following months, I received an "F" in an elective computer class.  It was the last time I ever failed a class.
  • When I was thirteen, I was enrolled in all special education classes and had begun to slowly regain my self esteem.
  • When I was fourteen, I made the honor role for the first time.
  • When I was fifteen, I attended my first school honor ceremony.
  • When I was sixteen I had begun to mainstream into regular education science and social studies classes and was still ranked in the top 10 % of my graduating class.
  • When I was seventeen, I was inducted into the National Honor Society.
  • When I was eighteen, I graduated from high school with a 3.85 GPA.
  • When I was nineteen, I received my first "B" in a college class after attending community college for a year.
  • When I was twenty two, I wrote for The Oakland Press as a reporting intern while taking four college classes and working another job.
  • When I was twenty three, I began to write this blog The Voice from the Spectrum, which has received more than 25,000 pageviews to date.
  • When I was twenty four, I graduated from college with a 3.35 GPA as a member of Alpha Mu Alpha marketing honor society which required a recommendation from a professor.

  • Today, I received this in the mail:

No comments:

Post a Comment