Sunday, July 10, 2011

Living with Autism

It is really the unknown that intrigues so many people when it comes to autism.  Here is this condition of alternative behavior that is so multifaceted, so varied to the extent that it has an entire spectrum which tries to encompass this diversified range of behaviors.  When people hear that I have autism, even people who have known me for years, they revise their perception of me based on what they know about autism, and based on what they know about me.  There are some situations where people don't notice that I have autism and I choose not to tell them, due to my own judgment of the situation.

In many cases, some people are actually frightened of autism because it contradicts many things that they believe about people. I am going to use some very crude stereotypes to illustrate this point.  From what I have seen, there are some people who believe that there are two categories to conveniently group those they meet and associate with.  In their eyes, there are people who are smart and people who are dumb.  They revise their behavior around those categories, treating the people in each category accordingly.  It simplifies life a great deal, in their minds.  Keep in mind that this is my interpretation of this kind of rationale.

Now add autism into the mix.  These people with autism cannot be placed into either one of the categories.  People with autism, especially Aspergers, can be very smart in some areas of their lives, and not so smart in other areas.  In other words, they fall into both of these categories.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this post.  I am in the position where I can only imagine how people's minds work, having lived with autism my entire life.  I don't know what it is like to think and feel like most people do.  In a way, I think I have it better, living with my type of autism.  Life is much more vibrant, much more interesting.  As a member of the autism spectrum, I have to find my own path to follow in life, instead of following in someones footsteps.  There are always trials that come up through misunderstandings, it is just a cruel reality. 

The way I see it, this is my life.  I didn't choose it.  I can't change it.  I might as well make the best of it and try to find happiness, like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment