Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Autism and My Social Life

I went out with a good friend last night.  We went bowling, got some dinner, wandered around a store, had a good time.  The last time I went out with someone was three weeks previously with the same person.  Because of my autism, my social outings are few and far in between.  I know people who are not on the spectrum socialize whenever they're bored, or out of routine, or because they feel the need to be with people.  I am not the type of person who will call up a friend, "hey, do you want to do something today?"  This type of spontaneous action makes me feel uncomfortable, but that might be the fact that I am an introvert, and not due to my autism.

Sometimes, I meet with a group of friends to play sports.  As of the present date, I have not done this in nearly two months.  I have noticed that in smaller groups of friends I am much more outgoing, and with larger groups of friends I hardly speak at all.  I just find it harder to communicate when I feel that a lot of people are watching me. I prefer to text with a friend rather than call them up.  This adds some distance and freedom to respond to an inquiry when I feel ready, not holding someone one the line while I try to figure out what to say.  It's not like I don't have a social life at all, I just prefer to spend more time alone than with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment