Saturday, August 20, 2011

Autistic Story, Post Two

In this post I am going to continue Chris's story.  In last week's post, he solved a complicated word problem in his head and reflected on his lack of social knowledge while in the hallways at school.  Now, he is at home and without further ado, I will continue the story:

          The time has come.  This is my favorite day of the week.  I could never forget about it.  I sat on the couch staring feverishly at the TV.  My little brother wasn't home yet, which was good because I wanted to be left alone.  Not that any of them bothered me, they knew how important this was to me.  How could they not, after living with me all this time.  The jingle theme announcing the beginning of my favorite show came across the TV screen and I leaned forward.
         I recited the words as the announcer stated them.  My eyes did not even raise to meet those of the flashy TV detective.  Any second now, it would be my favorite part...
         MY world fell apart as the screen changed a news bullitan talking about some breaking news story.  My eyes bulged.  I blinked several times to ensure that I was truely seeing it.  They had interrupted my show.  MY show, to talk about a stupid bank robbery?!  I let out an inarticulate cry, causing my mom to come running into the room.  I rocked back in forth, my mind seething with shock at the indignity of it.  How could they cut off my show?  I was counting on it!  It's the one sure thing in the world!  Always at four thirty on Thursdays, it is always there?  I didn't understand why it wasn't there this time.
      I am bigger than my mom, so it wasn't easy for her to calm me down.  The bullitan ended, and the show resumed.  I had missed several minutes of it, but I picked up on the lines without any delay. My world was once again at peace.  My mom, realizing that it was safe to let go, gave me an affectionate squeeze then returned to the kitchen to make dinner.  I did not even glance up.  I was at peace.

Through this post, I tried to give an inside look of how someone with autism might feel if there was a break in their routine.  I feel these feelings on a smaller scale, I intensified them to give my readers an idea how someone with Aspergers Syndrome might feel.  Keep in mind, that each individual is different and this is my interpretation of the feelings experienced during sensory overload.

No comments:

Post a Comment