Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Note about my Medications: Part One

October 2000 can be considered a significant changing point in my life for many reasons.  This was the time I was taken out of school for a few weeks.  From nine to two, five days a week, I went to the Fox Center in Pontiac Michigan for different therapies and a safe environment to determine what medicines that I needed.  It was during this time that I was diagnosed with PDD (NOS), and not before extensive testing.  I was also dealing with depression at this time.

Prior to that time, I was on Ritalin, which was the one-size fit all medication for ADD and ADHD symptoms during the 90's.  It turned out that I needed a different combination of medications to deal with my behavioral issues and chemical imbalance.  This combination of Concerta, Mirtazapine, and Risperidone, has helped me in many ways.

Right now, I take one Concerta every morning.  This helps control my ADHD symptoms so that I can focus during the day and accomplish the tasks I set out to accomplish.  There is a noticeable on the days that I forget to take my Concerta  in the morning.  I have tried to study for my school with that frame of mind and it doesn't work.  I was copying down terms for my Internet Marketing and Strategies class without my Concerta.  I was trying so hard with a scrambled state of mind.  And yet, I failed to recognize that while I had written the definition of the term, I did no write down the term itself preceding the definition.  Concerta is a medication that I will probably take for the rest of my life.

I take Risperidone and Mirtazapine every evening before bed.  The Risperidone helped improve my behavior that results from the autism.  The Mirtazapine is an antidepressant which has suppressed  my depression symptoms from the time following the Fox Center.  I have been on this combination of medications for almost half my life.  It will be eleven years in about a month's time.  For a while I have been wondering if I even need the Risperidone and the Mirtazapine any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment