Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Sidelong Glance at Autism

"Normal is defined by the majority or those with the loudest voice."

-Ryan Comins

I often wonder how my life might have turned out if I was born at some point in the past.  At a time when autism was not as understood as it is today.  If I was born in medieval times, I might have had holes drilled in my head.  My point is that we have learned a lot about autism and we are learning more every day.  We still have a long way to go but we have made progress.

Autism may not be a social deficit after all but a difference in brain function that has been interpreted as a social deficit.  It has been proven that those on the spectrum place more emphasis on their peripheral vision than on objects or people within the center of their vision field.

From the beginning, people have assumed that autism is a type of social deficiency but studies have revealed new information about why those on the autism spectrum might avoid eye contact.  It has to do with how the brain processes visual information.

To read more on this subject, click here:

http://www.livescience.com/37167-autism-avoid-eye-contact-brain.html

No comments:

Post a Comment